Thursday 29 June 2017

Week 31: Surgery countdown...

Week 31: Thursday 22 - Wednesday 28 June 2017

This has been quite a big week, with one thing and another...😄

Thursday / Friday I managed to catch up with various friends... Aside from being lovely to see everyone, I am kind of in that frame of mind that I want to catch up with as many people as possible to keep myself busy and not think of the impending operation... 

Saturday I just slept most of day... still having issues with fatigue, although does give me time to catch up on listening to Audible books. 😄. Currently listening to Eddie Izzard's memoirs... think I am a bit divided on it actually ... possibly not one for book club given previous teasing lol 😜.

Sunday was the day my amazing friends and neighbours did the 5k Race for Life, partly in my name.

I actually got quite emotional - the presenters from Cancer Research UK talked about the survival rates for different cancers... and although they are improving, they are still quite stark.

The crowd got asked to put their hands up if they or someone they knew had been affected by cancer.  Unsurprisingly, almost everyone put their hand up.

Then we got asked if anyone was currently going through treatment... so I stuck up my hand.  I didn't know how many others did, but the MC called out to me and noted I was wrapped up, and asked how treatment was going...  so I did a thumbs up.  But it was weird as there was a spontaneous round of applause for those of us getting treatment... and that made me teary too!

(Thinking my hormones are definitely all over the place nowadays!!)

Anyway, the two lovely Nics ('Team Nik Nak') then went to join the start line after many cuddles good luck... and then they were off 😄😄😄

39 minutes later they were back, and I managed to get loads of photos of them in their glory... and even more amazing, they managed to raise over a £1000 for Cancer Research UK!

It got me thinking though, that all being well, I would like to set myself the target of maybe doing next year's 5k 😄😄😄.  (Apart from raising money... I should be able to run easier with smaller boobs lol - no black eyes! 😉)

Monday / Tuesday was errands and catching up with my friend Lou... and booking mini holidays! 

After discussions with my parents, we decided that it would be great for all of us to get away before my surgery, given that I face 3 or 4 months recovery initially, and thereafter possibly multiple follow up procedures ... so we have got 4 days in the Algarve next weekend, and the following week I have a weekend in Dublin with Sue... 

I don't think I am worried too much about surgery, but just trying to cram in as much fun stuff before surgery, and also to celebrate end of chemo 😄😄😄.  (Huge thing!)

Wednesday saw me don work clothes for first time in over 6 months... and it felt great, even though I had kind of forgotten how to dress and do makeup!  I am not going back to work yet, but a wee keeping in touch day, and ability to actually work on something small was actually really good for engaging my brain again! 

(Of course I now only have limited amount of work clothes given my mass clear out last month... 😜)

Wednesday night was a bit surreal - went to a makeup workshop run by Boots.  That was all fine and dandy, and got some lovely samples to takeaway... but we all got locked in the shopping centre after hours and couldn't get out at end of the night!!

Thankfully - after a few different people had tried the various doors, a sharp eyed security guard came to release us... but I am pretty sure that 40+ women in various stages of baldness / headscarves / wigs congregating like zombies was certainly a sight to behold lol. 😜😱😄.

So overall, mainly good week aside from the emotional rollercoaster.  Need to keep reminding myself how far I have come already... 

This coming week I have another day at work, talking to friends about social enterprise set up, speak to GP about fit note, a little bit of pampering prior to holidays, more catching up with friends and finally getting signed off by oncologist 😄😄😄

So, as ever... onwards and upwards.  Till next time xx 



No comments:

Post a Comment